Dean - UAF Community and Technical College
Dean - UAF Community and Technical College
• Job No:
• Classification:Dean (Academic)
• Grade:Senior Administrator
• Work type:Officer/Senior Administrator, On Campus, Staff Full-time
• Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
• School/Business unit:UAF Community and Technical College
• Categories: Executive/Director/Management, Education/Instructional
The University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF) seeks a dynamic and innovative leader with a strategic vision to address workforce needs and to serve as dean of the Community & Technical College (CTC). CTC offers 40 plus associate degree, certificate and certified training programs located at 5 different instructional facilities that are responsive to local and regional vocational/technical training needs, focusing on areas that are crucial to the workforce needs of the state. In addition, CTC operates a State of Alaska licensed child care center. With its community college mission, CTC serves the needs of a diverse student population, including first-generation college attendees, both traditional and non-traditional students, military students and those seeking job training. Reporting to the UAF Vice Chancellor of Rural, Community and Native Education, the dean serves as the chief academic officer for CTC providing strategic and operational leadership to the unit while working closely with the College of Rural and Community Development dean and rural campus directors.
The dean serves as a member of the Rural, Community and Native Education (RCNE) management team and provides academic and administrative leadership to the UAF Community and Technical College (CTC). The scope of responsibility includes (but is not limited to): academic planning and program development and management, budget development and management, additional resource procurement such as grants, personnel management and leadership development, college and program advocacy, facility and space management and community partnership development and outreach. UAF CTC has an annual budget of approximately $14 million, and employs a diverse population of approximately 35 full-time faculty and 200 adjunct faculty who are represented by two unions, 35 full-time staff and 100 part-time staff. Approximately 3000 students attend UAF CTC. They are culturally diverse and include many non-traditional students and students from the military community. The dean serves as the chief academic officer of the college and is responsible for managing the budget, facilities, faculty and staff that make up UAF CTC and to work collaboratively to ensure student success. This position is designated as an officer of the university or senior administrator at the discretion of the president.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the community college and workforce development mission of CTC.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with community partners to meet local and regional educational and workforce development needs.
• Demonstrated experience in the development, growth, and management of student service programs.
• In-depth knowledge of community college administration practices and principles, curricula, instructional practices, and learning outcomes.
• Demonstrated experience in the development, growth, and management of academic programs.
• Ability to interpret and enforce rules, regulations, processes, and policies related to higher education administration.
• Familiarity with regional accreditation standards as well as any applicable specialized accreditation, certification, and licensure requirements.
• Ability to lead and manage in a complex environment through solid judgment, flexible, creative, and adaptive approaches to decision-making and problem solving.
• Demonstrated skill in financial planning and management and allocation of other institutional resources.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the proven ability to collaborate with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
• Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Ability to resolve issues resulting in mutual respect and tolerance for varying points of view.
Preferred Experience & Education:
• Combination of administrative and academic leadership experience at the department level or above.
• Experience supporting faculty or colleagues with research, scholarship or creative activities.
• Knowledge of and experience with accreditation at the college and university level.
• Experience in fundraising and securing external support.
• Broad experience in academic program development and assessment of student learning outcomes.
• Experience working with and supporting faculty through the tenure and promotion process.
Required Experience & Education:
• Minimum of five years' experience in progressively responsible executive management level positions.
• A demonstrated record of effective communication with internal and external audiences.
• Experience managing complex budgets.
• Experience implementing effective strategies to increase diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Master's degree in discipline appropriate to the position or equivalent experience and three to five years of administrative leadership experience, including planning and development, complex budget management, and the development and management of personnel.
Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, 12-month, executive management, exempt position complete with a competitive salary and https://www.alaska.edu/hr/benefits/. UA employees receive excellent benefits including 12 paid holidays per year, tuition waivers for employees and family members, and medical, dental and vision care coverage.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of application materials will begin June 19, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is identified. Search and selection procedures will be closed when a sufficient and viable number of qualified candidates have been identified.
To be considered, please include the following:
A FULLY completed University of Alaska employment application
Resume or CV
• Cover letter describing qualifications
• Statement of philosophy of career and technical education. Preparing workforce-ready graduates through community-driven education is a core tenet of our mission. Please write a brief paragraph describing your philosophy on the value of a comprehensive, integrated career and technical education.
Diversity is an important part of the UAF Community and Technical College mission. Please write a brief paragraph telling us how diversity figures into your past and present teaching, administrative, community engagement, and/or your lived experience? Going forward, how would you imagine incorporating attention to diversity into your work at UAF CTC?
• Contact information (to include name, telephone number and email address) for three professional references.
*To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Applicants who now or may in the future require visa sponsorship to work in the United States are not eligible.
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: http://www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dianna James, UAF Community and Technical College HR Coordinator, at mailto:email@example.com or 907-455-2863.
Applications Close: Open until filled
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4219415
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
11 day(s) ago
Closing Date 2023-08-23
Alaska Native Hire is an easy-to-use online forum that brings together job seekers and employers. The site allows individuals to create a profile highlighting their experience, skills, education and employement history. Employers then have the ability to search the database for the specific skills to fill vacant positions.
For job seekers, this is the website where the jobs find you. And for employers, Alaska Native Hire is a powerful tool to help meet your local hire needs.